Distinctive Subject Examinations Designed to Assess Core Osteopathic Medical Knowledge
COMAT FBS will launch Dec 10, 2018. Registration is open. A practice examination for COMAT FBS is now available.
Comprehensive Osteopathic Medical Achievement Test (COMAT) is a series of osteopathically distinctive subject examinations designed to assess osteopathic medical students’ core knowledge and elements of osteopathic principles and practice essential for pre-doctoral training. Developed by the NBOME and its National Faculty in conjunction with faculty at colleges of osteopathic medicine (COMs), COMAT examinations are administered at critical junctures in osteopathic medical training by COMs across the United States and abroad. COMAT exams are nationally standardized examinations to assess osteopathic medical students’ ability to apply core osteopathic medical and foundational biomedical sciences knowledge on clinical problem solving for clinical subjects and for the Foundational Biomedical Sciences examination.
Each subject exam reflects the latest advancements in the respective discipline and a consensus of “best-practice” guidelines. COMAT examinations also meet several additional curricular objectives:
- End-of-course assessment
- Evaluation of education across clinical sites
- Evaluation of achievement in osteopathic practice within and across clinical disciplines
- Pre- and post-testing in clinical rotations and clerkships
The COMAT exam series has many distinctive attributes:
- COMAT is the only osteopathically distinctive subject examination series with osteopathic principles and practice integrated within the examinations.
- The COMAT exams are presented in a style and format comparable to the COMLEX-USA licensure series, a benefit for both osteopathic medical students and COMs.
- COMs can administer affordable COMAT examinations to complement their curricula and support educational objectives and program cycles.
- COMs can choose the timetable to administer the Foundational Biomedical Sciences Comprehensive examination.
Each COM has a secure NBOME account used to track student progress across all NBOME assessments.
- Convenient web and iPad delivery of COMAT subject exams offer enhanced security, adaptability and flexibility for COM administration.
- Administration of COMAT clinical subject exams only is also available at Prometric testing centers throughout the United States and Canada.
- COMs receive detailed feedback through school summary reports and individual student score reports, and scores are compared with national performance. Percent-correct scores for the FBS exam for the first year administration will be reported. After the first year administrations, standard scores will be reported.
- COMAT is developed by leaders in osteopathic medicine and education, backed by decades of NBOME experience and expertise.
For in-depth exam information, please review the navigational links on this page, as well as the Test Administration Guide
In this section
More information for...