The NBOME Learning Center
The NBOME Learning Center offers on-demand, self-paced, online learning activities that provide continuing medical education opportunities for osteopathic physicians and other health care professionals.
The NBOME collaborates with National Faculty and stakeholder partners in developing cost-effective or no-cost resources to offer the knowledge and skills required to deliver high-quality, safe, effective patient care to osteopathic students, residents and physicians.
Features of NBOME’s Learning Center activities include:
- Web-based, convenient access anytime, from anywhere, on desktop, tablet, and mobile devices
- Courses approved for American Osteopathic Association (AOA) Continuing Medical Education (CME) Credit
- The latest innovations in online learning and training
- An ever-expanding inventory of tools, resources, and programs that meet continuous professional development and certification requirements
Please see our full catalog of resources in the NBOME Learning Center including:
NBOME Assessment Education Series:
The NBOME Learning Center hosts a number of NBOME-developed modules to help medical educators, including NBOME National Faculty, learn more about assessment development, scoring and related topics. These modules are designed to support education in the development of osteopathically distinct assessments. Modules in the Assessment Education Series include:
- Item Writing 101: Multiple-Choice Items with Realistic Clinical Scenarios is the first course to be released in NBOME’s Assessment Education Series. It provides an introductory-level, self-guided, interactive course designed to facilitate writing multiple choice items that assess competencies in osteopathic medicine and related health care professions, using realistic clinical scenarios.
- Case Development 101: Case Authoring for Osteopathic Clinical Skills Assessment.
- Rationale Writing 101: This course provides information on why rationales are valuable and how they can be used for multiple purposes and audiences.
On-Demand CME Activities
Self-paced CME activities, approved for AOA CME credit, have been developed in partnership with colleges of osteopathic medicine and osteopathic specialty boards.
The Reynolds Interprofessional Geriatric Education and Training in Texas (IGET-IT) Series created with the University of North Texas Health Science Center Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine for interprofessional communication improvement including the following modules:
The Osteopathic Performance Assessment and Improvement Module (OPAIM) is an osteopathically distinct, practice-relevant, interactive tool designed to assist physicians in satisfying AOA Bureau of Osteopathic Specialties (BOS) Osteopathic Continuous Certification (OCC) Component 4. These formative learning modules are web-based, allowing convenient access anytime, from anyplace, on most devices.
Each OPAIM module is a comprehensive collection of learning components and formative assessments carefully designed to foster lifelong learning. The evaluations consist of:
- Stage A: Assess Performance
- Stage B: Build and Implement an Action Plan
- Stage C: Reassess Performance
In addition to satisfying AOA-BOS OCC Component 4 requirements, OPAIM completion also provides 20 AOA Category 1-B CME credits. Currently available OPAIM modules include:
- Medication Safety Communication OPAIM – Results show that after completing this OPAIM, the average diplomate met or exceeded national benchmarks on all performance measures. This module is approved to meet AOA-BOS OCC Component 4 requirements for several osteopathic specialty boards including:
- American Osteopathic Board of Emergency Medicine
- American Osteopathic Board of Internal Medicine
- American Osteopathic Board of Neuromusculoskeletal Medicine
- AOBIM Recertification: Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) OPAIM – This OPAIM has been developed in partnership with the American Osteopathic Board of Internal Medicine primarily for internists and nephrologists. The CKD OPAIM provides osteopathic physicians with opportunities for continuous performance improvement in the management of patients with stages 4 or 5 CKD. The CKD OPAIM also has relevant applications to other physicians practicing adult primary care medicine.
- The AOBFP Professionalism: Medication Safety and Communication OPAIM can be accessed through the AOBFP’s OCC Module Completion website.
In this section
More information for...