Scores & Reports
Reported scores for each subject examination are standard scores, which account for minor differences in difficulty between forms.
- Standard scores are set to have a mean of 100 and a standard deviation of 10 based on a representative sample of nationally normed data.
Standard score scales are reviewed annually and may be re-established at the discretion of the NBOME.
Reports are scheduled to be released 5-10 business days after administration.
- Summary reports are provided for single COMAT administrations, as well as cumulative reports for subjects within an academic year.
- Reports for single administrations include a score roster, a frequency table, an item key phrase report, and a school-level performance summary with a graphic profile of school performance on subtopics.
- Cumulative reports summarize school performance from the beginning of the academic year. They include the above features plus a school-level performance summary with a graphic profile of school performance on subtopics during the academic year.
- COM Comparative Summary Reports by COMAT discipline that are available to COMAT colleges of osteopathic medicine (COMs) on the secure Dean’s Page of the Client Registration System. COMs are able to compare their COM student performance with other unidentified COMs. These reports for the testing cycle/academic year are to be uploaded annually in August or September.
Both single administration, cumulative reports and comparative summary reports are posted to a secure website, which the NBOME maintains. We provide each COM access to their site to review, print, and archive the reports. Each COM will decide how to distribute student score reports if they choose to do so. We will not send COMAT student score report to students directly.
The NBOME conducts a thorough quality assurance process to ensure that all candidate scores are accurate. However, if a COM chooses, we will confirm an examination score for any COMAT exam if a school coordinator submits a written request within 30 days after the scores are released. Individual students may not request score confirmations.
Because score confirmation is limited solely to computer-recorded responses, the score is unlikely to change. The NBOME will ensure that all sections were complete and that responses were graded against the proper form. The NBOME does not release information about the scoring of individual exam questions.
The fee for score confirmation is $25, and the request must be accompanied by a check or credit card information. A score confirmation entails retrieving the original test responses, checking for any testing or data abnormalities, rescoring using a process different from the operational scoring process, and comparing the rescored results with the originally reported scores. Results of a score confirmation will be sent to the school coordinator by Client Services within two weeks of the request.
For in-depth exam information, please view the COMAT Test Administration Guide.