The NBOME Learning Center
The NBOME Learning Center offers on-demand, self-paced, online learning activities, as well as live webinars and events, that provide continuing medical education and certification opportunities for osteopathic physicians and other health care professionals.
We collaborate with our stakeholder health care partners, osteopathic specialty boards and professional organizations, and colleges of osteopathic medicine to develop and implement cost-effective (and sometimes no-cost), convenient resources that help ensure osteopathic physicians possess the knowledge and skills required to deliver high-quality, safe, effective patient care.
In addition, the NBOME Learning Center hosts a number of NBOME-developed assessment education programs designed to help medical educators learn more about assessment development, scoring and related topics.
Since its successful launch in 2015, we continue to expand our collection of online resources that enable health care professionals and educators to:
What It Offers
- The NBOME Learning Center provides convenient access to a variety of self-paced online learning activities for the continuous professional development of osteopathic physicians and other health care professionals.
Features of NBOME’s Learning Center activities include:
- Web-based, convenient access anytime, from anywhere, on desktop, tablet and mobile devices
- Courses approved for AOA CME Credit
- The latest innovations in online learning and training
- An ever-expanding inventory of tools, resources, and programs that meet continuous professional development and certification requirements
Please see our full catalog of resources in the NBOME Learning Center. Some of the currently available programs include:
Assessment Education & Faculty Development
- Released in 2016, Item Writing 101: Multiple-Choice Items with Realistic Clinical Scenarios is the first course to be released in NBOME’s Assessment Education Series. It provides an introductory-level, self-guided, interactive course designed to facilitate writing multiple choice items that assess competencies in osteopathic medicine and related health care professions, using realistic clinical scenarios.
Other courses in the Assessment Education Series include Item Writing 201: Assessing Osteopathic Principles, Practice, and Manipulative Treatment in Multiple-Choice Items and Case Development 101: Case Authoring for Osteopathic Clinical Skills Assessment
On-Demand CME Activities
- Self-paced CME activities developed in partnership with colleges of osteopathic medicine and osteopathic specialty boards and approved for AOA CME credit:
- The Osteopathic Performance Assessment and Improvement Module (OPAIM) is an osteopathically distinct, practice-relevant, interactive tool designed to assist physicians in satisfying AOA-BOS Osteopathic Continuous Certification (OCC) Component 4. These formative learning modules are web-based, allowing convenient access anytime, from anyplace, on most devices.
Each OPAIM module is a comprehensive collection of learning components and formative assessments carefully designed to foster lifelong learning. The evaluations consist of:
- Stage A: Assess Performance
- Stage B: Build and Implement an Action Plan
- Stage C: Reassess Performance
In addition to satisfying AOA-BOS OCC Component 4 requirements, OPAIM completion also provide 20 AOA Category 1-B CME credits. Currently available OPAIM modules include:
- Medication Safety Communication OPAIM – Results show that after completing this OPAIM, the average diplomate met or exceeded national benchmarks on all performance measures. This module is approved to meet OCC Component 4 requirements for several osteopathic specialty boards including:
- American Osteopathic Board of Emergency Medicine
- American Osteopathic Board of Internal Medicine
- American Osteopathic Board of Neuromusculoskeletal Medicine
- American Osteopathic Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- American Osteopathic Board of Pediatrics
- AOBIM Recertification: Chronic Kidney Disease OPAIM – Developed in partnership with the American Osteopathic Board of Internal Medicine primarily for internists and nephrologists. The CKD OPAIM provides osteopathic physicians with opportunities for continuous performance improvement in the management of patients with stage 4 and 5 CKD. The CKD OPAIM also has relevant applications to other physicians practicing adult primary care medicine.
- The AOBFP Professionalism: Medication Safety and Communication OPAIM can be accessed through the AOBFP’s OCC Module Completion website.
- CATALYST™ is a new assessment tool designed by the NBOME to provide an alternative method to ensure ongoing physician competence and practice-relevant assessment. Accessible through our Learning Center, CATALYST™ is a formative assessment that offers convenient access via smartphone, tablet, or computer. The CATALYST methodology is based on research findings indicating that learning and retention can be accelerated by asking individuals to retrieve what they learned previously, by providing immediate feedback, and by spaced repetition by administering questions over time. Content is customizable based on client requirements for assessments across the medical education continuum, including board recertification and resident in-service exams.
Contact us for more information about how CATALYST™ can support your assessment needs. You can see more about NBOME collaborative assessments in Testing Services.
Live CME Activities & Online Events
- The NBOME Learning Center hosts live CME webinars and events – approved for AOA Category 1 A CME credit throughout the year. Contact our Learning Center Support Team to learn about upcoming events via email at CPD@nbome.org or call NBOME Client Services at (866)479-6828 from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. ET Monday – Friday.
In this section
More information for...