A Letter From Our President
March 20, 2020
The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic is putting extraordinary stress on our personal and professional lives. We at NBOME understand and appreciate what everyone is doing across the osteopathic medical community and within our other partner organizations. We want to thank you for all you are doing on behalf of your educational and clinical communities during this challenging time. As we shift to alternate ways to communicate, share, educate, and assess, the NBOME is dedicated to supporting our stakeholders through this unprecedented time.
We have made some significant changes and enhancements to our assessment programs as of this date:
- Worked with candidates regarding the closing of Prometric testing centers through April 16, 2020 (COMLEX-USA Levels 1, 2-CE, 3, COMVEX, COMAT at Prometric)
- Cancelled COMLEX-USA Level 2-PE examinations through April 6, 2020
- Waived all rescheduling fees for COMLEX-USA examinations
- Rescheduling priority has focused on students preparing for 2020 graduation
- Continued NBOME operations (both remotely and on site) – includes Client Services 7 AM- 7 PM EDT (M-F)- firstname.lastname@example.org or 866.479.6828
- NBOME Learning Center which includes multiple educational activities (many free or low cost for osteopathic medical students: nbome.org
- Developed a microsite to communicate updates as they are available.
And coming soon, the NBOME will continue to support you all with:
- Launch of COMSAE on CATALYST by March 26, 2020 – a self-paced version of COMSAE Phase 2 offering short-question content at flexible, pre-determined intervals, providing immediate feedback, answer rationales, and related reference material
- Introduction of self-proctored delivery options for COMAT examinations (COMAT-SP) to allow off-campus administrations of select COMAT test forms coordinated by COMs. Anticipate availability March 30, 2020
- Development of new teaching and formative assessment resources to add to the NBOME Learning Center: ilearn.nbome.org
- New testing date availability for all levels of COMLEX-USA to assist with candidate rescheduling once testing centers reopened
AT Still, MD, DO, the founder of osteopathic medicine, spoke regularly about the body’s innate capacity to heal itself and that DOs needed to partner with patients and their bodies, minds and spirits to find and maintain health. As we temporarily shift our lives to elevate efforts for social distancing, we are reminded to take care of each other and ourselves. The NBOME will assist in any way we can to partner with you all for your assessment needs. We are continuing our work to support you and our mission during the social distancing period, and when we can resume regular testing, the NBOME will be ready.
John R. Gimpel, DO, MEd
President and CEO
National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners