Testing Services for Client/Partner Organizations
NBOME Testing Services
Read more below about how we can help you with your clinical assessment needs.
Clinical Skills Testing and Oral Examinations
Clinical skills assessments and oral examinations are part of many certification, recertification, and all licensure requirements for medical students and practicing physicians. Our experience with administering the COMLEX-USA Level 2–Performance Evaluation to thousands of osteopathic medical students provides a solid foundation for us to support our partners with planning, launching, and maintaining a robust clinical skills and/or oral assessment program customized to their needs.
The NBOME’s two National Centers for Clinical Skills Testing (NCCST) are the settings for highly sophisticated performance evaluations that simulate live encounters between health care professionals and patients, complementing and augmenting traditional summative assessments of medical knowledge. The two NCCST locations are in Conshohocken, Pennsylvania (near Philadelphia), and in Chicago, Illinois. Each test center is a state-of-the-art, technologically advanced clinical skills testing facility designed to ensure patient safety, security and standardization required for fairness in high-stakes testing. Both centers have the look and feel of an outpatient clinic, with examination rooms equipped with examination/treatment tables, test equipment (diagnostic otoscopes and direct ophthalmoscopes, blood pressure cuffs, tongue blades, cotton swabs, reflex hammers and tuning forks), sinks, and hand sanitizer. The rooms are equipped with two cameras for recording and monitoring of the stations from a central control room and a one-way mirror for direct observation.
For oral examinations, the rooms can be set up with an examiner and examinee station with computer stations for examination administration if required. For travel and lodging details, see Our Locations in the Who We Are section.
Our test centers are also available to our partner assessment organizations for customized clinical skills testing or oral assessment.
The distinctive features of our clinical skills testing program/oral examination include services in:
- Customized clinical skills testing methods depending on the individual partner organization’s needs at two testing locations—Philadelphia and Chicago
- Examination development and review, including blueprint development and job-task analysis
- Complete staffing services, including staff that welcome and register examinees and manage the test center experience
- Comprehensive training services or specialized trainers for proctors and standardized patients by NBOME’s team of subject-matter training experts (SMEs)
- Assistance with scoring development and physician examiner training
- Video capability to track and report examinee-patient encounters
- Specialized software used to record examinee encounters
- Comprehensive standard setting and score reporting services
Contact us for more information about customized clinical skills testing or oral examinations at one of our NCCST locations and arrange a tour.